Tuesday, November 23, 2004

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Crumbs From Your Table

Track #8 - Crumbs From Your Table

From the brightest star
Comes the blackest hole
You had so much to offer
Why did you offer your soul?
I was there for you baby
When you needed my help
Would you deny for others
What you demand for yourself?

Cool down mama, cool off
Cool down mama, cool off

You speak of signs and wonders
I need something other
I would believe if I was able
But I’m waiting on the crumbs from your table

You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see
Then your face caught up with your psychology
With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends
And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends

You speak of signs and wonders
But I need something other
I would believe if I was able
But I’m waiting on the crumbs from your table

Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die
Three to a bed
Sister Ann, she said
Dignity passes by

And you speak of signs and wonders
But I need something other
I would believe if I was able
I’m waiting on the crumbs from your table
___________________________________________________
This is another song about the AIDS crisis in Africa. I see it as a song being sung from an unbelieving world to the American church as they watch the crisis unfold and they here us speak of "signs and wonders" but we "deny for others what we demand for ourselves".

"Three to a bed /Sister Ann, she said /Dignity passes by "
This line is actually a quote from a nun working in an African AIDS relief tent, when Bono went to visit she explained to him "dignity passes by this place".

"And you speak of signs and wonders /But I need something other /I would believe if I was able /I’m waiting on the crumbs from your table"
This line points out what I feel is a great problem with the church and us Christians in general. We are called to be Christ like, we talk about right and wrong, we judge by standards no man can keep yet we do little to help our fellow man, something Christ spoke about more then anything. Let us not be known for what we say but what we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for your interpretation. If you are interested in more about Sister Ann's Life, I believe it is the same one as on this link.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/04/25/sister_ann_builds_her_dream_school/

Sorry it is so long. I appreciate your site, and I try my best to live up to what Christ has taught us about giving. I hope Bono can find some hope left in the imperfect church.
Thanks again, Elizabeth